While rebuilding WSUS (once again) I discovered another snag. When first configuring WSUS I put in “D:” for the drive to store the updates because the wizard didn’t like “D:\”. Unfortunately, both are wrong. From what I read in various posts, the wizard used to default to the largest drive with free space and append \WSUS for a directory. If you just specify “D:”, the updates try to download to D:WsusContent and not D:\WsusContent. (The eventlog shows this.)
A comment on this blog post helped fix it without a reinstall:
wsusutil movecontent D:\WsusContent D:\WsusContent\movelog2.log -skipcopy
After a reboot (and waiting, as WSUS isn’t very speedy) , the updates started downloading.
For future installs: don’t specify the just the root of a drive, specify a subdirectory like “D:\WSUS”.
PS: here’s what the log file says:
2017-04-07T21:04:23 Successfully stopped WsusService. 2017-04-07T21:04:23 Beginning content file location change to D:\WsusContent 2017-04-07T21:04:23 Did not copy files due to -skipcopy flag. 2017-04-07T21:04:23 Successfully changed WUS configuration. 2017-04-07T21:04:24 Successfully changed IIS virtual directory path. 2017-04-07T21:04:24 Successfully removed existing local content network shares. 2017-04-07T21:04:24 Successfully created local content network shares. 2017-04-07T21:04:24 Successfully changed registry value for content store directory. 2017-04-07T21:04:24 Successfully changed content file location. 2017-04-07T21:04:25 Successfully started WsusService. 2017-04-07T21:04:25 Content integrity check and repair... 2017-04-07T21:04:25 Initiated content integrity check and repair.