Kindle Fire

Here are some of my first impressions with the $50 Kindle Fire. After using iPad and iPhones (and one stint of a Galaxy Nexus on Android 4.x) I needed something to replace an aging and slower iPad 2. (Curse you iOS 9, I want iOS 6 back.)

Screen – definitely not Retina-class. The ppi is 171. That shouldn’t be too bad for movies or books, but it’s noticeable when coming off of an iPhone. Fingerprints show up easily and I’m missing auto-brightness.

Speed – Not bad, but the slowness can be noticed. Heavy websites aren’t super speedy on the Silk browser. The rest of the OS is fine and mostly smooth if you’re not in a hurry.

Feel – I like it. I think it’s a good size. Fits most pockets and doesn’t feel too thin like an iPad does. I don’t have a case yet.

Weight – Enough heft to know it’s there. That can be good as I don’t think I’ll break it by handling it, and bad as it might get noticeable when reading a book. I might need a case that stands it up.

Software – meh, it’s Android. Which means there are dozen ways to do things and it’s annoying. A little cluttered with lots of default Amazon apps and “suggestions” (glorified ads) on every page. At least the ads suggestions can be turned off. Once I get used to it, it should be fine tho’.

I still have to get all my software on it. Lastpass, Plex, Netflix, etc… we’ll see how it does over the next week or so.

Bonus – SD card slot for expandability.

So far – Seems like I’ve been pointing out all the flaws. Actually, I like it. There’s actually lot of value for the money. Especially if you’re already in the Amazon ecosystem for books and videos (or Amazon Prime).

For reading and watching video should be a winner. For light browsing it should be good enough. Much better than my iPad 2, but not as good as an iPad Air 2. Of course I’m comparing wildly different class tablets too.

UPDATE – It’s been two weeks now and I’m not as impressed as I was. The CPU is too anemic for browsing and moving around the UI can be quite laggy. And the screen resolution is annoying for small text, which seems to plague a lot of websites with crappy mobile design. As a Kindle (book reader), it’s good, but don’t inflate your expectations beyond that.

Advertisements

The Accountant

TheAccountant.jpgThe Accountant was an odd movie premise from the start: autistic accountant savant by day, hitman by night…but I was pleasantly surprised that it almost worked. Unfortunately, everything that The Accountant did right, John Wick did better and with more style.

While John Wick setup an interesting underworld with it’s own rules and codes, The Accountant is just a what? A revenge movie? A hitman with a heart of gold movie? I can’t tell.

The Accountant is entertaining. A sequel might be good enough as well, but I’m looking forward more to John Wick 2.

Rogue One

I won’t expound on Rogue One. It’s already been hashed to death on the internet, but I will say I enjoyed it. However, I’m glad that episode 4 was already established. If it wasn’t for episode 4 stating that a lot of people died, I’m sure Hollywood would have saved our heroes and then shoehorned in a pointless romantic subplot.

Brave on ElementaryOS

I wanted to install Brave on a test ElementaryOS install and I’d rather use apt instead of the .deb file that’s on Brave’s main site. Brave does have a repo available but it won’t work with ElementaryOS out of the box. Here are the instructions.

The trick is here: “You will want to make sure the bottom line of /etc/apt/sources.list lists a new repository and doesn not contain the word lsb_release.”

When you run the two provided commands:

curl https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brave-apt/keys.asc | sudo apt-key add -
echo "deb [arch=amd64] https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/brave-apt `lsb_release -sc` main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

…’loki’ is inserted into the new source in /etc/apt/sources.list. Replace it with ‘xenial’.

Brave installed just fine with apt after that.

DFS-R MaxOfflineTimeInDays

I had a screwy server that wouldn’t replicate a folder in DFSR because it had past the 60 day limit. I’m not sure why this server was out of date for so long.

EventID: 4012

The DFS Replication service stopped replication on the folder with the following local path: <folder>. This server has been disconnected from other partners for 152 days, which is longer than the time allowed by the MaxOfflineTimeInDays parameter (60). DFS Replication considers the data in this folder to be stale, and this server will not replicate the folder until this error is corrected.

To resume replication of this folder, use the DFS Management snap-in to remove this server from the replication group, and then add it back to the group. This causes the server to perform an initial synchronization task, which replaces the stale data with fresh data from other members of the replication group.

Additional Information:
Error: 9061 (The replicated folder has been offline for too long.)
Replicated Folder Name: <folder>
Replicated Folder ID: A484AB0F-7DAE-4A43-BFC4-59303224FD23
Replication Group Name: domain\dfsroot\foldername
Replication Group ID: 201BA6C5-92C9-4FDF-BE2B-C9FDC6869FBD
Member ID: 9B24A868-4C07-4BBE-AE09-C0D9427C9A24

Following the suggestion in the EventID, I removed the folder completely from DFS Replication and Namespace and let everything sync back up. The event log even said that the Replication member was dropped. However, when I re-added the folder I received the same error message again.

So I changed the MaxOfflineTimeInDays option to 155 days with this command and restarted the DFSR service:

wmic.exe /namespace:\\root\microsoftdfs path DfsrMachineConfig set MaxOfflineTimeInDays=155
net stop dfsr && net start dfsr

The event log showed that DFS-R started replicating the folder again and everything is back to normal again. Then I changed the MaxOfflineTimeInDays option back to it’s normal 60 days.