I’ve run into another very annoying WSUS bug and this one deals with Computer Model information being corrupted when being entered into the SUS DB.
Twice I’ve encountered a bug where the WSUS console would crash every time I tried to browse the All Computers or Unassigned Computers groups, but it wouldn’t crash when I browse another sub-group.
I found a very useful blog post that showed how to fix it but I’m unable to find it now; however, I was able to remember the steps I took.
- Using SSMS, export the table tbComputerTargetDetail to a csv. (Select * query, then save the results as csv.)
- Sort the various columns to find the one with the box (like an unknown character). This is the corrupt entry. For me, its always been the ComputerModel field.
- Note the TargetID #.
- You can use the TargetID number in the tbComputerTarget table to find out the hostname of the offending machine for a permanent fix.*
SELECT FullDomainName FROM [SUSDB].[dbo].[tbComputerTarget] WHERE TargetID = '<targetid#>'
- Blank out this field.
UPDATE [SUSDB].[dbo].[tbComputerTargetDetail] SET ComputerModel='' FROM [SUSDB].[dbo].[tbComputerTargetDetail] WHERE TargetID='<targetid#>'
WSUS will be working again.
*To fix this issue on my client machines, I’ve only needed to update the offending machine’s BIOS.